75% of UK palm oil import was CSPO in 2017

Posted on: November 19, 2018

The UK Roundtable for Sourcing Sustainable Palm Oil presented a new monitoring report showing a plateauing of Certified Sustainable Palm Oil (CSPO) import into the UK over the past 3 years. The volume accounted for by imports of Identity Preserved, Segregated and Mass Balance CSPO totals 327,653 mt. This equals to 75% of total palm oil imports to the UK. The UK Roundtable reports that the remaining 25% of conventional palm oil indicates that some sectors are not sourcing enough CSPO or possibly not reporting on what they are buying. According to the UK Roundtable lagging sectors include oleochemicals, foodservice and animal feed.

RSPO credits represent 10% of the UK palm oil import in 2017. This is a 51% drop compared to 2016.

The UK Roundtable is an industry alliance that aims to promote the uptake of sustainable palm oil in the UK. It was established in 2012 and its members include trade associations for sectors using palm oil, the 4 main UK refiners and NGOs. MVO works together with the UK Roundtable via its European Sustainable Palm Oil project to work towards 100% uptake of CSPO in Europe. The UK Roundtable will focus on advancing these goals in the coming year. 

For more information please read the full report.

Calendar events